What are your criteria for building trust?

**si Man
4 Posts
Thread creator 
What are your criteria for building trust?
Hi,

one can say that trust is one of the key point in being joyful in any human being connections and relationships. How do you trust people? what you should see or percive in someone to say oh yes he or she is the one you can trust? I do not write my own opinions as the topic starter to do not give a specific direction to the topic. Thanks for your contributions in advanced.

Best,

Ash
Hi 👋🏻
Is this a general question for life or is simple to be used in your JC selection of adventures
**si Man
4 Posts
Thread creator 
could be both, even comparing them could be interesting!
Good question
Depending on my goals about the candidate, I always try to give enough information about myself :
Information is knowledge.
This way its easy for me to see and study the behaviour of the person.
Anyway it's a basic principle :
If you wish to get something from people, you must be able to give something in return.
Trust is a two way game.
Hi Ash,

the best way for me to build trust is to be myself (in words and actions) and to observe how my opposite reacts on it... If he/she answers with being him/herself, trust is builded quickly... But if he/she denies this, I am aware of the energy... Negative thoughtpatterns/behaviours are a warning for me, that the person neither trust him/herself, so I don't do that too... I hope, you understand.

Greetings and a beautiful sunday to all. *g*
I think trust in life, work , teams , JC or otherwise is built on a foundation of openness honesty and truth. However it also depends on a principle of reciprocity. If you are truthful in your engagement with others it’s the basic first step and then if it is reciprocated in the same way , it’s a good direction in general.
The frankness about the reasons why you decide to practice this activity.
If you miss to establish these criteria, you can generate frustration of your partner.
We think there is a sense of basic trust embedded in someones personality, or it is not - for various reasons.

In most cases, trust in your own gut feeling protects you from connecting with people who are not trustworthy. Certain people though are good at deceiving others, playing a role - experiences with such people can hurt the basic trust.

Trust is a fundamental part of any relationship, especially for life partners. This is the main reason why lying and betrayal hurts that much and is difficult to heal.
**C Man
12,061 Posts
...for me, mutual trust is an essential criteria for a working relationship.....
*****alS
7,393 Posts
TBHm I trust people rather easily. Too easily likely, but so far in most cases it turned out to be ok. I'm not entirely sure, but I do think it's related to how I also like people rather easily - though it is not always necessary for me to like people in order to trust them, respect works as well.

Let me explain this. Trusting people basically means to give them something, be it physical (like keys, money, car, and so on) or not (information, passcodes, etc), and expect them to treat it in a certain way (keep it safe, return it later, keep ti for themselves, whatever). This is harder the more you suffer (in whatever way) from them not treating it the way that was agreed on.

As an example: it's rather easy to entrust people with my email address - because the worst that could happen if they treat that information incorrectly is that I get spam.
However it is a lot harder to entrust someone with the key to my apartment - because in this case, the worst case scanario includes all my stuff being stolen and my apartment being trashed or on fire, along with all consequences.

Basically trust is nothing more than risk evaluation.

So - if I trust somebody or not always depends on what I entrust them with. In a love relationship we usually wish for all involved parties (be it two or more people) to trust each other with basically anything, however in practice that varies a lot from relationship to relatoionship I assume.
In reality, people are not perfect, and treating everything the way somebody wants us to is hard at times, especially if interests of different parties conflict with each other. So the better we get to know a person, the more we lear what we CAN trust them with - and what we CANNOT. This is true for all kinds of relationships, love relationships included. So likely, over time, people will not trust their partners with certain things they know they will likely fail with - even if we assume perfekt trust in the beginning (which I do not actually believe in).

FOR ME, as an individual, I therefore need to be somewhat sure of one tihng before I trust somebody: the person in quesiton does not have any reason to use whatever I entrust them with against me.
If I assume a person I like likes me back and is interested in this mutual feeling to continue, this is a good position for trust. Betraying my trust would endanger me liking them, so they try and avoid that.
A person being a professional at whatever I trust them with works as well - even if I do not like that person I, assuming I believe in their professionalism, am convinced they will not purposefully treat whatever I entrust them with wrong, because that wourld hurt their reputation as a professional.
And, last but not least, a person sharing my beliefs is also likely to be trustworthy, because not betrying anybodys trust is part of that belief system I have.

In the end, this means: I trust people I like (usually I like them because they seem to like me...), people that I like working with, and people that I dislike but respect anyway for their professionalism. If however a person does not seem to like me, does not seem to share the same belief of honor and respect I have AND does not seems to be a profesional either, then I will not trust this person with anything.
For me, trust begins with reliability. When a partner does what he says he will do on consistent basis, then I develop trust. That kind of test is something I can measure and experience at the same time. If I can't count on him to follow through on his commitments, he's not trust worthy. Full stop.
******_sn Woman
1 Posts
What an interesting question on so many levels.. I was just thinking about trust and if I trust the person I am currently sleeping with.. trust has a lot of weight in my life at the moment because I have recently separated from my husband due to lack of sexual passion and my desire to explore my identity both internally and externally across many levels... so trust.. hmm..

Sometimes it is as easy as looking at a persons face, and deciding whether they actually look trustworthy or not. But people can wear many masks, and those who look extremely innocent could turn out to be the devil in disguise.

I would say, from my recent experience in building and breaking trust, that you must trust yourself, and what you are doing with the person in question. That is where trust can begin to blossom between two people. But if you do not truly trust yourself, then how can you trust others?
Want to join the discussion?
Register now for free to discuss hot topics with others and ask your own questions.