The End of the Partnership is the Start of a Better Sex Life

***fz Man
10,350 Posts
Thread creator 
The End of the Partnership is the Start of a Better Sex Life
There are numerous studies which try to find out what makes your sex life better. One of the aspects which seems of higher importance is your relationship status.

Apparently, it makes a vast difference whether you sleep with your partner or not. Some suggest you should be single if you look for a fulfilling sex life. Others prove that your sex life is at least more rich in variety when you are single, yet not necessarily better. Another study found out that married people are having the most sex.

After a longer discussion among our colleagues, we agreed to disagree. Now what experiences other lovers have made. *zwinker*

Therefore we'd like to know:

• What are your experiences with length, variety, satisfaction and all the other important aspects of intimacy when you compare your sex life in a relationship with that of your single life?
  • Have you had better sex when your were in a relationship?
  • Have you had sex more frequently when you were single?
  • Have you had more sex partners when you were in a relationship ... or single?

Type away.

Kind regards,
Narfz.
JOY-Team
***o2 Couple
142 Posts
We have been married 16.5 years when the kids were smaller sex didn’t happen as often. Now we have the most amazing sex with each other. We have sex 5-6 times a week. I have more satisfaction now then I ever have. When I was single I had many sexual partners however I can say I wasn’t usually satisfied. As a woman finding a partner didn’t seem like an issue.

Of course now that we are exploring this lifestyle we are now able to fulfill fantasies we both have and share these amazing moments together.
*****d79 Couple
542 Posts
Interesting Question. Got the Discussion going between us *top2*
There are Pros and Cons for both Relationship Types and it is really not clear cut.

1. Satisfaction. Definitely in a Relationship it is better. You know your Partner, know how to "press the Buttons" and know what makes them Happy. Same mostly for length and Variety.
2. Sex in a rrelationship, is in general better. The Single Life offers Variety of partner and a certain level of excitement and "the thrill of discovery".
3. Definitely more sex in a relationship. (Cant beat the previous Author though. Well done with 5-6 times a week *top*)
4. Single

As a Summary both Stati offer something, it is just the question of what you are looking for. Satisfaction, safety, of a relationship, but with the risk of mundane, boring. The excitement and thrill of discovery as a single, the chase, the catch and the possibility of "new". With the possibility of a drought and/or disappointment
We have found, that the JC Element brings a spicy touch to a satisfying sex life, with the thrill of something new (MMF, FFM, MFMF)
*****ven Woman
7,286 Posts
I live in a polyamourous relationship for over 15 years now.

First and foremost I like to say, that my motivation for sex comes from within me and not from the lack of whatever on the outside.

The same goes for the type of sex I desire in a given period of time or a moment. Therefore for me there is no distinction to make based on my relationship status. Of course there are generally phases in which my desires vary.

What are your experiences with length, variety, satisfaction and all the other important aspects of intimacy when you compare your sex life in a relationship with that of your single life?

As stated above the "type of sex" I have is more depending on my state of desire than on my relationship status. However ... relationsships have a tendency to get repetitive regarding the sexual part. Of course one can be mindful and "work" to not let that happen and use the fact that you know oneanother better to get the positive aspects out of that. But there is no repetitiveness or boredom with "new" or "a variety of" sexpartners in the first place.

Have you had better sex when your were in a relationship?

"Better" is difficult to determine for me in such a general way. I had very good sex in relationships and very good sex outside of those. The same goes for the opposite. Desires vary and sex within relationships is not static either (in my experience).

Have you had sex more frequently when you were single?

The same goes for this one. There were single-times with very little to no sex and single-times with a lot of it. And relationship-times with a lot of sex and those with little to none (not even talking about the reasons for the different situations and if that was what I wanted at the times or not)

Have you had more sex partners when you were in a relationship ... or single?

I think I can not answer this one the way it was intended, because of the relationship-type I live in for so many years now.

However ... I had a lot of sex with people "out of the moment" ... ONS (or more-night-stands) ... outside of a defined relationship-status. And I wouldn't have it any other way *zwinker*
Is this thread supposed to be click-bait?

Would you please be so kind to post links to the studies you mention?

Frankly spoken, what you write is the complete opposite of some other studies. The most recent ones even state that the millennial generation has a much less fulfilling sex life than their parent generation, especially because of the lack of trust, depth and connection, all of which are found in relationships.

Hedonism is a fun lifestyle for a certain time when you are young, but sooner or later many people find out that sex can be super fulfilling when enjoyed as a love language within a partnership.

But then again, perhaps the younger generation must learn to love themselves first...
What are your experiences with length, variety, satisfaction and all the other important aspects of intimacy when you compare your sex life in a relationship with that of your single life?

Hubby and I are polyamorous for the majority of our 12 year relationship. Single life was more boring anonymous trysts while with hubby we have explored each other and more long term friends with benefits.

Have you had better sex when your were in a relationship?

Sex with a repeat partner usually gets better the second third fourth time etc. they learn your likes and dislikes.

Have you had sex more frequently when you were single?

No

*g*
Have you had more sex partners when you were in a relationship ... or single
?

I was monogamous with the first husband so with him, just him. With this husband I am poly so we are lucky to be able to explore our sexual desires with more than just each other.
Want to join the discussion?
Register now for free to discuss hot topics with others and ask your own questions.