What Role Does 'Power' Play in Your Sex Life?

***fz Man
10,350 Posts
Thread creator 
What Role Does 'Power' Play in Your Sex Life?
One of the most famous quotes of the TV-show House of Cards is Frank Underwoods: "Everything in the world is about sex, except sex. Sex is about power." Tho the origin of the quote is hard to make out, the substance of the sentence is still being controversially discussed.

Let's just assume it is true and Sex really is about power - at least for this discussion.
  • What do you prefer?
  • Do you want to be overpowered? How do you want to be subdued?
  • Are you the one that is in charge? How do you exert power then?
  • Or do you even switch?
  • Is this power about controlling one another? Is it about establishing dominance?

We are excited and curious as to what role power plays in your sex life.

Type away ...

Liebe Grüße,
Narfz.
JOY-Team
*****ven Woman
7,285 Posts
Firstly: Regarding analyses of sexual dynamics an American series wouldn't be my first go-to choice. Because ... America and their understanding of sex in gerneral (sex-education teaches "abstinence only" etc. ) and secondly ... it's an over-dramatic Hollywood-series ... soooo.

So, I will not assume, that sex is about power ... because then I wouldn't be able to contribute anything here.

I personally feel very strongly about sexual power imbalances. I can't have them or I will not be sexually aroused respectively sex wouldn't "work" for me. My sexuality needs a power balance to allow me to truely let loose. That's because if I sense so much as a hint of submission in my sexpartner, I immediately feel some kind of responsibility for the person and the situation and that makes it impossible for me to give up all control. If I feel dominance wanting to be applied on me I feel, that I have to remain conscious of my boundaries ... which also needs focus and therefore hinders me to get into a state of just feeling and not thinking.

IRL that doesn't make it easier to find a sexpartner ... just saying. Most people (for instance here in JOY) tend to associate themselves (of course on a broad scale of intensity) to one side or the other. And many men seem to think, that submission is somehow "natural" to women.

I of course accept other people and their preferences ... but it's not for me and it's not that easy to communicate my needs in that regard.
Sex can be a power play, if you want.

From a "natural" point of view, I dare say that things are slightly different - in a way that in the sum, it could be considered as a power play thing, yet it is not, philosophically imho: (in most cases) a man literally enters a woman, it is an intrusion - a natural process that should include consensus - and gone is the power play element.

Quote from ***fz:
What do you prefer?
I do prefer the natual element - that "tension", that erotic energy, the sexual attraction that is the most energetic physical and spiritual love language between Mr. ZeeTee and me.

Quote from ***fz:
Do you want to be overpowered? How do you want to be subdued?
I want to be "overwhelmed" by the wantonness, hotness, hornyiness that I can feel when Mr. ZeeTee seduces and pleasures me an all levels imaginable.

Quote from ***fz:
Are you the one that is in charge? How do you exert power then?
I like to feel that Mr. ZeeTee is "in charge", that he wants to take me, to be in me, to come in me, to feel me cum, to enjoy our sexual encounter together.

In short, all this is, for me, the very natural sexual act of "taking" (the man) and "to be taken" (the woman), not based on a "power" element.
Want to join the discussion?
Register now for free to discuss hot topics with others and ask your own questions.