Manly, manlier, toxic masculinity?

*********rial Woman
50 Posts
Thread creator JOY-Team 
Manly, manlier, toxic masculinity?
Toxic masculinity can be described as an extreme and exaggerated form of "traditional" masculinity, with traits like assertiveness, aggression or independence being taken to a level that is... well, toxic.

In our recent magazine article you can learn more about what this phenomenon is and which problems can arise from it.

Now to you: Do you see toxic masculinity in your everyday life, in people around you or even in yourself? Or do you think it has become more of a buzzword with no actual background to it?

We are excited to read what you think! *happy*
****x23 Man
2 Posts
Yo creo que depende del grado de narcisismo y de inseguridad de la persona la masculinidad toxica.
O sea de ver solamente lo que esta bien o debe hacer un hombre.
Y la otra masculinidad es tambien poder ver su parte femenina en los juegos con otra mujer, pareja o juego en grupo.
Mi humilde opinion.
Saludos
*****Egg Man
5 Posts
Toxic masculinity is a buzzword and a slur used by those who dislike men in general, its a cop out and I see it used in ways that do not showcase toxic masculinity, but instead describe any man with a differing opinion, there are toxic individuals in both sexes, I see no use in the phrase "toxic masculinity" other than to cause division and in group out group thinking, just as other useless things as "manspreading" and "mansplaining", this terminology comes from a group that do not base their ideology on the real world, so they resort to asserting you are "evil" if you disagree with their world view, the same methods and tactics as religion in general.
*******easy Man
63 Posts
Toxic masculinity is based in insecurity. If your manhood is so fragile that you are compelled to force it and shove it down everyone’s throat around you, let’s be honest, how “manly” are you really?
*********life Woman
204 Posts
I was wondering if it was just me or there seemed to be an increase in toxic masculinity in general since the rise of certain politicians and the isolation of Covid.

I was a part of a larger discussion where many women (and even men) have pulled back from dating men from some bad experiences or just not wanting to deal with a certain type of male personality. It’s not that we don’t have the desire for sex or dating, many do not want to deal with the aggressive negative attention if we don’t immediately acquiesce to their demands or wants.
********more Couple
1 Posts
Well i don’t even see very normal level
of masculinity any more.. let alone a bit more of it.. which is obviously very nice in my work environment but not very sexy in every day life 🙈 the struggle for men is real- i feel
for them and wish they can find their true self at least in every day life and make themselves and their partners happy 🥰
****n12 Man
2 Posts
It's cus the generations got its outlooks wrong aha my generation seem to be the worst at being themselves
******Dom Man
1 Posts
I see more and more masculinity in females and more femininity in men. Thats the trend I see 🤷🏻‍♂️
******iri Man
1 Posts
What’s your point?
*******uder Woman
540 Posts
Quote from ******Dom:
I see more and more masculinity in females and more femininity in men. Thats the trend I see 🤷🏻‍♂️

If more "femininity" in men means that they are finally showing empathy and are not afraid to share their weaknesses and emotions (the ones besides anger)...I'm all for it.

If more masculinity in women (not "females"!) means that women are showing and proving that they have a strong mind and are also physically powerful...I'm all for it.

These old gender roles are so tiresome to me.

Yes, I still see and experience toxic masculinity around me, sometimes it's very discreet and other times it's very loud and open. Though I must say that German men have come a long way and are less toxic compared to the men I experienced in the U.S. and some other countries.

Proclaimer: And no, of course its "not all men".
*******mper Man
1 Posts
Really hope people decide to read my profile. I’m just a treat ready to be unwrapped 💁🏼‍♂️
*********ndra Woman
3 Posts
Has anyone heard about „Toxic Femininity“ …

The truth is that it is almost impossible to pinpoint something that hasn’t been proven before!

Wish you all the best 🥰
*******hris Man
5 Posts
There will always be a certain percentage of men who are dominant alpha types. Some women find this an attractive trait. I read that around the time of their highest level of fertility, a female looks for this type of characteristic because of the subconcious desire to produce a strong and healthy child. Be interested to read women's views about this. But when the natural dominance of the man develops into more aggressive territory, in the form of either verbal or physical behaviour or even both, then it becomes toxic and is obviously not acceptable
*******rks Man
14 Posts
I have to agree with @*****Egg 's post.

The term "toxic masculinity" (TM) exists without its counterpart "toxic femininity" (TF) and that makes it divisive and polarizing. Perhaps that's the whole point...

If TM refers to a high level of assertiveness, aggression or independence, what does TF mean? To me, a high level of submission, frivolity and impulsivity. Of course, this merely exposes my biases and background; but that's the way it is *g*

In my life, I more often experience toxic femininity than toxic masculinity. In fairness, I have few male/men/(insert appropriate term) friends.
****o21 Man
1 Posts
Hi am looking for real serious send partner
*******king Man
13 Posts
When women have the effective stranglehold on power that men have, we can only then first discuss the concept of toxic femininity. Until then, it is just a red herring for deflection.
*******rks Man
14 Posts
I think all those with more than two neurons will agree that men in most cultures hold most of the power.

The question that I find interesting is: what is the term "toxic masculinity" supposed to achieve?
. What is it supposed to make me feel like or act upon?
. What is it supposed to make an insecure 15y old boy feel like?
. What is it supposed to make an aggressive 30y do?

The term is a reflection of the current Zeitgeist and I will never defend it. That's all.
**********icorn Woman
1 Posts
You will never defend it because you don't understand it.

Toxic masculinity are traits that are traditionally viewed as masculine expressed to the extreme meaning any threat to the perception of self is meant with aggression and attacks - both verbal and physical.

You can't compare toxic masculinity with toxic feminity because men don't die at threatening levels because of toxic feminity.

But both men and women do die because of toxic masculinity: either both are victims of toxic types who lash out with aggression or it's a threat for men who are taught that toxic masculinity is a model to strive for but doesn't do anything for them in terms of finding intimacy, dealing with emotions in a healthy way or being able to handle rejection, failure or lack of success and the only way out of their conundrum for them is aggression or suicide.
******tor Woman
1 Posts
I'd like to address the lack of "toxic femininity" from my point of view.

Feminine traits can often be exaggerated and used as insults: adaptable=weak, agreeable=meek, gentle=soft, talkative=gossipy, emotionally aware=manipulative.

Masculine negative traits don't have this. Someone might be assertive, confident, taking the initiative, and be a massive a-hole because they are overdoing it. But the traits that make this person an "asshole" don't have a negative counterpart per se.

So to counter this lack of words we have in our shared language the new-ish term "toxic masculinity" is useful. It helps noticing and describing the phenomenon that previously has been hidden in phrases like "men can't help themselves" or "he's just an asshole". Now we have a word to discuss the role and expectations of masculinity that affect negatively men* and everyone around them.

*and other people presenting themselves in masculine way
*******rks Man
14 Posts
Thanks. Interesting to read about this.

I would still prefer the term "excessive masculinity" to "toxic masculinity", though *g*
Hello handsome
*********life Woman
204 Posts
Quote from *******rks:
Thanks. Interesting to read about this.

I would still prefer the term "excessive masculinity" to "toxic masculinity", though *g*
there are extremely masculine men that are not toxic, in my opinion.
Quote from *********rial:
[...] Toxic masculinity can be described as [...] independence [...] .

What's toxic about independence?
It doesn’t exist.

Some men are toxic, some men are not. But to use the word masculinity as a generalisation is hugely offensive.

There is such at need at the moment to label and pigeonhole everything. Why bring a whole gender into it? Someone using masculine traits in a negative way? Yeah, not toxic masculinity, that person is just an ass…simple.
****oGK Man
4 Posts
Toxic masculinity was a term created in the 1990s when psychologists were trying to study violent offenders in prison. When guys steps on each other toes and then they would start stabbing each other. It was just a term that was used by those psychiatrists to determine a type of behaviour where men would resort to extreme levels of violence for no reason. There is no such thing as toxic masculinity. There is just masculinity, and then there are some people who are toxic. That has nothing to do with each other. Tons of people who are extremely toxic online and some of them are masculine and some of them are feminine but the two are mutually exclusive. The idea of toxic masculinity is to shame men for doing things that other people don’t agree with. There is no such thing as toxic masculinity. There are toxic people and those toxic people can be masculine or feminine!!!!
Want to join the discussion?
Register now for free to discuss hot topics with others and ask your own questions.