How challenging is a long distance relationship? My story.

*********nots Woman
212 Posts
Thread creator 
How challenging is a long distance relationship? My story.
We all may have experienced love over distance.I wanted to share my personal story with you, and since I am not the only one, I would be curious to hear what your experiences were? Feel free to pick your most challenging issue in a long distance relationship!
*herz2* *liebeskummer* *herz2* *liebhab* *liebeskummer* *sweetkiss* *liebhab* *liebeskummer*
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
772 kilometers lay between Frankfurt and London, 772 kilometers lay between my boyfriend and me. Divided between 2 countries, still closely located in Europe but nevertheless miles away from each other. Missing each other, longing for one another.
We were in a long distance relationship for over a year, trying to stick it out, hoping for a long term solution or change of events to be able to finally be together.

In the end, it did not last, but I think not because of the distance. We grew apart, and had little in common after a while. At the time we dated, we were on the same level, studying, partying, living the life! As students we shared a lot. But when real life kicked in- graduation, job search, making money, our differences became apparent:
Me, very keen and ambitious, wanting to achieve and put my skills to use, whereas him, not wanting to grow up, taking on menial jobs and smoking way too much weed, there was no mutual vision any longer. Today I know, that it was for the best. But back then, I was heartbroken…

But let’s start from the beginning!
I came to the UK as an exchange student in 2010, when Brexit wasn’t on the horizon yet and Europe was still a thing, so there were funds available to support international students.
On my second year studying Visual Communications for a Bachelor’s degree, I grasped the opportunity to get a grant to live and study in the UK for one term. Have studied English from early grades I thought I was prepared but I so wasn’t! Arriving at Heathrow by myself with my big yellow suitcase with only filled with basics, I was overwhelmed by the pace, not only the traffic but also language –British pronunciation was different than expected and I barely understood what was going on.

The university and their staff was very friendly and I got set up smoothly, and I threw myself into studying and immersed myself in student life. I made friends quickly with international students where there were many of, but contact to the British students has only been during classes only so far, they came across reserved and unapproachable to me, and I did struggle to fully converse with them beyond small talk.
However there was a boy who was extremely helpful for some reason, who always went the extra mile to explain me things and made me feel taken care of. And so it comes, we went out and started dating. Fully British, from a posh family, a funny and adventurous guy, Robbie scooped me up, introduced me to all his friends and made me feel part of his life. It was wonderful and a lot of fun, my language skills improved massively due to close practice with him, he’s always been so patient with me, helping me express myself and correcting my mistakes. Communication in the bedroom was excellent too, we had real passion for each other and we did not miss any opportunity to get it on.
When the end of the term approached, I extended. I extended once again after that, so I stayed for one whole year altogether. Due to my good results an exemption has been made, but for me, it was all for Robbie. I did not want it to end, I did not want to leave.
But eventually I had to, I run out of funds and I went back to Frankfurt to complete my degree.
We promised each other to make it work. We made a plan, how often we would visit each other, and what trips abroad we would make together. Constantly looking for cheap flight offers, booking suitable hotels and planning itinerary became normality.
Thinking back now of all the long Skype calls and endless texts, how frustrating, elaborate and emotional, how incredibly much work it was! But back then, we had the energy since we had the love.
When Robbie came to visit me in Germany for the first time, it felt odd to see him in a different environment, now in my neck of the woods, with me accommodating him this time. Communication with family and friends didn’t turn out not as easy as hoped, it appeared that the level of English within my circles wasn’t that good so I had to constantly translate.
High level of emotions after the visits slowly eroded and ordinary life took over, with my final degree fully occupying all my time.
Lack of mutual experiences and new directions and ambitions in our lives have finally taken their toll and we have quietly separated. It was so obvious at this point that it was a matter of pure realization. Robbie also became more and more jealous about my male friends and my whereabouts, since we only had rare moments of intimacy which are simply not enough for sexed up young people.
Robbie and my student year abroad will always have a special place in my heart and are kept as tender memories. In the end, I am grateful to him for evoking the love for UK in me so I eventually ended up here permanently. I have to admit, I do check his Facebook sometimes, secretly…
As ­­­­my wise advice goes, I would tell people not to fear a long distance relationship, and embark fully and truly on this difficult journey if one loves each other. But do make a joint plan with the time apart as a bridge towards something bigger, united, in one country in the future.
******e69 Man
1 Posts
This is very insightful
*********rlust Couple
312 Posts
Honestly, from reading your text, I am thinking that your age and the timing had more to do with the break-up than geography.
*********ard12 Man
68 Posts
I had 18 years of long distance relationship with my wife Meeting only during the weekends. At the end, we grew far apart. Now I understand that, this long distance story didn’t work because of the less physical contact we had. We were 700 kms apart. I took extra pain to travel every weekend to meet her. Just to see she was stressed from the single life as well. We both tried our best to keep this running but the last 10 years we were not even sleeping in the same bed. I hoped things will get better because of Corona as I stayed full time in home office. But the first 15 years were just too long and we were too far away from eachother.
*********nots Woman
212 Posts
Thread creator 
Quote from *********ard12:
I had 18 years of long distance relationship with my wife Meeting only during the weekends. At the end, we grew far apart. Now I understand that, this long distance story didn’t work because of the less physical contact we had. We were 700 kms apart. I took extra pain to travel every weekend to meet her. Just to see she was stressed from the single life as well. We both tried our best to keep this running but the last 10 years we were not even sleeping in the same bed. I hoped things will get better because of Corona as I stayed full time in home office. But the first 15 years were just too long and we were too far away from eachother.
Oh wow that is a very long time...I see there was a lot hope and love there but in the end that may not have been enough. A relationship need nurture in many other areas as well. Take and hope your future will bring you love again xxx
*********nots Woman
212 Posts
Thread creator 
Quote from *********rlust:
Honestly, from reading your text, I am thinking that your age and the timing had more to do with the break-up than geography.
Yes and no. Yes because there were many differences however, without the distance our love would have stood a very good chance since we were very happy together overall.
*******sh2 Man
26 Posts
Thank you for sharing your story. There could be many other reasons besides distance that could ruin a long distance relationship. I think you were wise to realise that what you both want from life wasn’t compatible anymore. This is pretty normal I guess. Sometimes 2 people can be together for many years before they realise this. Sometimes it’s a sudden realisation, sometimes a particular situation can trigger it.
It’s ok to want different things in life at different points in your life and it’s ok to want to pursue that when your wants and needs aren’t aligned anymore.
I’m glad you have fond memories of your relationship and know that no one is to blame for the break up. Cherish the memories and it’s good to learn from the experience.
*********rlust Couple
312 Posts
Quote from *********nots:
Yes and no. Yes because there were many differences however, without the distance our love would have stood a very good chance since we were very happy together overall.
You know, I do have to ask, because of your story and your response, are still pining and or regretting?
****lon Couple
1 Posts
Thanks for sharing your story, we are both English, Nicola living in Berlin and I live just outside London. We met when I was on a city break in 2019. I think timing is everything and we were both in the right place and situation in our lives where a long distance relationship would work. A number of other factors played a part, the cities we lived in, we have also both been divorced and ultimately this led to want us trying a different kind of relationship that was committed but also allowed freedom to try other experiences both on our own andvtogether. All of these things have combined to give us a wonderful relationship. We regularly fly between Berlin and London to see each other, regular video calls and chat on whatsapp pretty much every day, 4 years on things are great and we feel very lucky to have met each other by chance in Berlin.
Berlin has played a big part in the success of our relationship and enabled the experiences we have shared there via Joy. We have not had the same experiences here in the UK which is kind of interesting, there has always felt a different vibe about it here.
Nicola and Paul.
*********nots Woman
212 Posts
Thread creator 
Quote from *********nots:
You know, I do have to ask, because of your story and your response, are still pining and or regretting?
No, I am over it and looking for new love in my life *herz2*
*********nots Woman
212 Posts
Thread creator 
Quote from ****lon:
Thanks for sharing your story, we are both English, Nicola living in Berlin and I live just outside London. We met when I was on a city break in 2019. I think timing is everything and we were both in the right place and situation in our lives where a long distance relationship would work. A number of other factors played a part, the cities we lived in, we have also both been divorced and ultimately this led to want us trying a different kind of relationship that was committed but also allowed freedom to try other experiences both on our own andvtogether. All of these things have combined to give us a wonderful relationship. We regularly fly between Berlin and London to see each other, regular video calls and chat on whatsapp pretty much every day, 4 years on things are great and we feel very lucky to have met each other by chance in Berlin.
Berlin has played a big part in the success of our relationship and enabled the experiences we have shared there via Joy. We have not had the same experiences here in the UK which is kind of interesting, there has always felt a different vibe about it here.
Nicola and Paul.
Thank you for sharing your positive experience, well, a positive example of a relationship overall! Interesting what you say about Berlin, that it made things easier. It is a great and open minded place in the world indeed- I could not agree more. I live and love London but I like coming to Berlin on a regular basis. But more importantly I hear that the timing was more than perfect for you to get together where you are more experienced and sure about what you need....Best of luck, sending love, Anna
*******ner Man
1 Posts
A big compliment to your very interesting and extensive story. I will put the quintessence of my answer into one sentence:
No distance, no differences, simply nothing can break true love.

I think the reasons you mentioned are exactly the most honest proofs that reveal if you sincerely love somebody, or if it is just a good friendship for reasons like hanging out together to have a good time or to fulfil sexual desires.

At the beginning of my own relationship I also thought that sex is the purest and most honest expression of love. After five years I have come to the conclusion that rather the difficulties you described in your story are the most honest ways to show real love.

Although I only see my girlfriend like 2 to 5 times a year, I always feel connected with her. My love for her remains, no matter how rare our meetings and sex sessions are. I know that she has a troubled life and that me staying with her means a lot to her. The fascinating thing is that our relationship always grows stronger during the long times we are apart from each other.

I understand perfectly well that maintaining a relationship is very difficult without seeing each other regularly. Yet I believe that true love is neither only the connection of two bodies, nor of two minds with the same interests. It is mostly the connection of two spirits.

I wish you all the best for your future relationship(s).
*********nots Woman
212 Posts
Thread creator 
Quote from *******ner:
A big compliment to your very interesting and extensive story. I will put the quintessence of my answer into one sentence:
No distance, no differences, simply nothing can break true love.

I think the reasons you mentioned are exactly the most honest proofs that reveal if you sincerely love somebody, or if it is just a good friendship for reasons like hanging out together to have a good time or to fulfil sexual desires.

At the beginning of my own relationship I also thought that sex is the purest and most honest expression of love. After five years I have come to the conclusion that rather the difficulties you described in your story are the most honest ways to show real love.

Although I only see my girlfriend like 2 to 5 times a year, I always feel connected with her. My love for her remains, no matter how rare our meetings and sex sessions are. I know that she has a troubled life and that me staying with her means a lot to her. The fascinating thing is that our relationship always grows stronger during the long times we are apart from each other.

I understand perfectly well that maintaining a relationship is very difficult without seeing each other regularly. Yet I believe that true love is neither only the connection of two bodies, nor of two minds with the same interests. It is mostly the connection of two spirits.

I wish you all the best for your future relationship(s).
Thank you for your extensive and honest comment as well.
If you manage to create mutual experiences and deep connection in the little time you have together which then also extends to connecting your soul when apart- you have a lot of energy and compassion for your relationship so then I see how it lasts. In my case we were not able to create those mutual experiences anymore and therefore disconnected. It may also be unsuitable for my personality...Now I am only considering partners from my local area. Even outside London is too far! I know it sounds ridiculous but I want to be close to my partner, coming from the experience I have described... *skeptisch* X
*********nots Woman
212 Posts
Thread creator 
Quote from *******sh2:
Thank you for sharing your story. There could be many other reasons besides distance that could ruin a long distance relationship. I think you were wise to realise that what you both want from life wasn’t compatible anymore. This is pretty normal I guess. Sometimes 2 people can be together for many years before they realise this. Sometimes it’s a sudden realisation, sometimes a particular situation can trigger it.
It’s ok to want different things in life at different points in your life and it’s ok to want to pursue that when your wants and needs aren’t aligned anymore.
I’m glad you have fond memories of your relationship and know that no one is to blame for the break up. Cherish the memories and it’s good to learn from the experience.
True, it was a good experience overall and I was young enough to move on smoothly with a better understanding of want I want in future *g*
Want to join the discussion?
Register now for free to discuss hot topics with others and ask your own questions.