My thoughts, emotions and back story about Pride

*********nots Woman
212 Posts
Thread creator 
My thoughts, emotions and back story about Pride
I know Pride Month is over, but I've only now processed everything that has happened during this amazing time! *dance* It was fantastic celebration and a massive party across the world, but the origin of Pride is less of a joyful affair and has arisen from suffering and protest. So let's shine a light on this important part of history in this article The History of Pride
Let me know how Pride relates to you and how that celebration helps to educate you about gay rights? I am curious to know your thoughts! *nachdenk*
*******cpl Couple
26 Posts
As a cis man, living mostly surrounded by heteronormative environments, the celebration of this day and the participation in Berlin’s CSD gave me an opportunity to see and understand the beauty and diversity of the people around me. I was reluctant to join as I felt I was hijacking a celebration of the achievements of people who have suffered things I don’t have to endured, as well as remembering the difficulties the community continues to endure, but I am happy I have joined as it gave me an opportunity to see, share and enjoy with a beautiful group of people.
*********life Woman
198 Posts
I try to go every year. I identify as a bi-sexual woman. Most of my friends are gay men or lesbians so it’s quite the party. I’m usually going more to support them as bi’s fly under the radar of the haters.

This year I saw a lesbian flag for the first time. I went with a friend who is late 20’s and she still copes with parents sending her for conversion therapy. She was excited for every lesbian flag. There were more young people than I remember. My other friend I went with is a gay man married for 24 years as it was legal in Denmark for a long time.

I’m worried with the state of things in the US that rights may slide back all over. Women’s rights, gay rights, trans rights etc all seem to be hated by the same small but powerful group of mostly cis white men and the women who are controlled by them.

It’s important to keep showing up and letting the haters know we will not hide to make you more comfortable.

On a side note I had an interesting discussion with a man from Russia. I asked him why Putin hates gays so much. His answer was that they are a threat to society as they are not reproducing. Their society is still trying to replenish since various wars. I had a chuckle and explained from my point of view, gay men adopt and make wonderful parents who raise mostly straight children. In addition, many long term lesbian couples use donated sperm and one gives birth. He was not aware of this. 🙈

In short, pride month is important. Bud Light lost 36% sales month over month since using a trans young person in an ad campaign. Same thing happened in the 80’s when it was scandalous to have a man-man kiss on TV. We must keep showing up and supporting each other.

Thanks!!
200 Posts
JOY-Team 
As a non-binary, pansexual person, I think Pride is more important now than ever, seeing as after a few years where actual progress was made, queer people the world over have to worry for their safety once more.

A friend told me she once saw a banner at Pride that said "Pride was assigned riot at birth" and I think that captures it beautifully. It's absolutely lovely that people from all walks of life enjoy themselves at Pride marches and parties but I think it's essential we put the riot (or at least the politics) back into it and put much more of a focus on it than there is at the moment. People are in actual danger, human rights are being disregarded or restricted, the situation is dire.

I love that we have Pride Month and use it to raise awareness and acceptance within our society. I love the marches, the parties, the educational events. I just wish we wouldn't have to worry about getiing home safely from a march.
**C Man
12,058 Posts
...I have a split feeling about "Pride Month". On the one hand, it seems important to me to draw society's attention to people who are "different" and to grant them a place in society. On the other hand, I feel that some activists and actions overdo it and do a disservice to the cause and meet with incomprehension and rejection from people who would be otherwise quite open to the idea...
200 Posts
JOY-Team 
I see where you're coming from, @**C . I do, however, believe that if human rights are at stake, it is time to rise. Protests in themselves need to be visible, they need to attract attention and perhaps even annoy people in order to draw attention to the issue. If done in convenient ways, at convenient times and places, nobody would notice or care.
**C Man
12,058 Posts
@*****161
...I don't know if this is the right approach. Take as an example the actions of the "Last Generation" Movement. The cause itself is absolutely worth supporting. Only the way in which these actions are carried out is condemned and rejected by the majority of the population. They simply harm the idea...
200 Posts
JOY-Team 
I actually fully support the Last Generation movement. I may have done a few things differently myself but they have my solidarity in the urgency with which they act. I think we'll have to agree to disagree here, @**C *g*

Back to topic though! Sorry for mildly derailing your post, @*********nots
*****e_D Man
22 Posts
@**C , I would like to gently and very warmly remind you of... "the fierce urgency of now. This is not time to engage in the luxury of cooling off or to take the tranquilizing drug of gradualism." It is better to find good trouble and annoy some who are "allies when it's easy", than let society as a whole fall back asleep.

You're not wrong, just maybe don't have the same urgency of those who are repressed.
**C Man
12,058 Posts
Quote from *****e_D:
You're not wrong, just maybe don't have the same urgency of those who are repressed.

...to implement ideas, ideologies, you need the support, the understanding of the people, the society. If you meet with rejection there, because you want to achieve something by force, you will fail in the long run...
*********nots Woman
212 Posts
Thread creator 
Quote from *****161:
As a non-binary, pansexual person, I think Pride is more important now than ever, seeing as after a few years where actual progress was made, queer people the world over have to worry for their safety once more.

A friend told me she once saw a banner at Pride that said "Pride was assigned riot at birth" and I think that captures it beautifully. It's absolutely lovely that people from all walks of life enjoy themselves at Pride marches and parties but I think it's essential we put the riot (or at least the politics) back into it and put much more of a focus on it than there is at the moment. People are in actual danger, human rights are being disregarded or restricted, the situation is dire.

I love that we have Pride Month and use it to raise awareness and acceptance within our society. I love the marches, the parties, the educational events. I just wish we wouldn't have to worry about getiing home safely from a march.

I love that slogan - "Pride was assigned riot at birth" so much, as you said, it does capture it fully. *regenbogen*
Pride is a party but it stands for a riot and fight. Also it does carry on for the whole year ahead - I felt charged up with ideas, new connections been followed up and I got invited to further events later on- it is a ripple effect.
Lots of love! XXX
*********nots Woman
212 Posts
Thread creator 
Quote from *********life:
I try to go every year. I identify as a bi-sexual woman. Most of my friends are gay men or lesbians so it’s quite the party. I’m usually going more to support them as bi’s fly under the radar of the haters.

This year I saw a lesbian flag for the first time. I went with a friend who is late 20’s and she still copes with parents sending her for conversion therapy. She was excited for every lesbian flag. There were more young people than I remember. My other friend I went with is a gay man married for 24 years as it was legal in Denmark for a long time.

I’m worried with the state of things in the US that rights may slide back all over. Women’s rights, gay rights, trans rights etc all seem to be hated by the same small but powerful group of mostly cis white men and the women who are controlled by them.

It’s important to keep showing up and letting the haters know we will not hide to make you more comfortable.

On a side note I had an interesting discussion with a man from Russia. I asked him why Putin hates gays so much. His answer was that they are a threat to society as they are not reproducing. Their society is still trying to replenish since various wars. I had a chuckle and explained from my point of view, gay men adopt and make wonderful parents who raise mostly straight children. In addition, many long term lesbian couples use donated sperm and one gives birth. He was not aware of this. 🙈

In short, pride month is important. Bud Light lost 36% sales month over month since using a trans young person in an ad campaign. Same thing happened in the 80’s when it was scandalous to have a man-man kiss on TV. We must keep showing up and supporting each other.

Thanks!!

I totally relate to your conversation to the man from Russia. Having Russian roots, I had many conversations like that trying to convince of the obvious. Luckily most expats in UK/EU are very liberal and get that, but some core population over there are following false beliefs of a dictator like sheep. It makes me sad fro this beautiful country...
****_90 Man
2 Posts
halo ich möcht sexs....
*********life Woman
198 Posts
Quote from ****_90:
halo ich möcht sexs....
this is a post about gay pride in English. What type of human are you looking for?
Want to join the discussion?
Register now for free to discuss hot topics with others and ask your own questions.