Bisexual women's spaces and UK community

*********nots Woman
212 Posts
Thread creator 
Bisexual women's spaces and UK community
I had long conversations with a good girlfriend of mine about her idea to open a women only space - a members club for bi/queer/lesbian women in London- to hang out, connect and celebrate on their own terms.
I was positively astonished by her idea, and what a big gap it is in the market. There are only a few permanently dedicated spots to women- like She Bar Soho. It would be amazing to have a space to retreat especially for bisexual women who may feel excluded in lesbian or gay men-only spaces.
Bisexuality overall isn’t as visible yet and not talked enough about- despite so many people identifying as bisexual nowadays. The stats lay around 4% for 16-24 years old and 6% for over 25 (Guardian). Bisexuality isn’t talked about as such as ‘gayness’, as it is mostly brushed under the big gay umbrella despite them having their own unique needs and issues.
I caught myself saying- I only need to come out if I am a lesbian. But why must bisexuality be hidden and not considered as an orientation, even by the women themselves?
Bi- women do not come out or make it a big thing either...
So many women are considering themselves as bi-curious at the minimum and see an adventure away from their boyfriend and lesbians do look down on that.
However those one off experiences lead to more intense and life changing experiences overtime. What starts off with one night stands, then affairs and dates, then having a real long term relationship with women. The gateway to this was the event Skirt Club- a female only play party with members in the whole world with me one of them being on board for years.
My interest in women overtime fluctuated, there were breaks when I was dating men but the desire was always there. Joining those events gave me the opportunity to indulge in my desire for women. As a shy person, I find it difficult to approach women, and my ‘gaydar’ isn’t any good. So without a designated event I would not get far- and I can say the same about many other women! Right now, London has a few women's only spaces and the offer is growing due to huge interest!
*knutsch2*
What is your involvement, or impressions on this topic? How do you identify as a woman? Or as a man, how do you feel about your partner being bisexual?
*liebhab*
Please follow the thread in the London group to get involved in the actual meet up. I am going to organise it there!
Want to join the discussion?
Register now for free to discuss hot topics with others and ask your own questions.