English on German site

English on German site
I'm an foreigner in Germany(Cologne) and I wonder. Are Germans willing to speak on English (women,couples) or it's just that there is too many guys here so it's the same for everyone?
****id Woman
5,314 Posts
Ich unterhalte mich auf einer deutschen Seite auf Deutsch, was nicht bedeutet, dass Englisch unmöglich ist.
*****alS
7,395 Posts
@****id you're aware that you're in the Sex forum & erotic forum part of JoyClub that was introduced especially for talking in English though?

@*******mia a couple of us are we active in the English speaking corner as we're in the rest of JoyClub. However it's rare as far as I can tell that that English is used on JoyClub anywhere but here - I've not seen more than a handful of profiles written in English for example.
In theory, most Germany are more or less able to understand at least basic English, anyone up to the age of I believe around 70 has learned it at some point in school. However "basic" is indeed VERY basic for some just because they barely ever used their English skills, while others feel to insecure to talk English or just outright refuse to because it's too complicated for them.

So you can somewhat count on most people to be able to understand you if you use simple language, but I wouldn't rely on people being. willing or able to reply. Some will, and some will also be able to do so on an advanced level, but I honestly have no idea about how many.
********an64 Man
1,598 Posts
English spoken and welcome!
Thanks for your query @*******mia ,

Your JC experience has been a short one, I realize.

Two issues:

Bi-lingual groups exist. In Kaiserslautern and the Palatinate we have many international guests eg on temporary mission with Ramstein Airbase and hospital.
The Kaiserslautern Community Group welcomes such members.

Male JC members vastly outnumber females and couples. Naturally, you have to make an extra effort to stand out of that male oversupply. My advice is to display genuine interest and continue with meaningful threads and contributions.

Best of luck,

Cordially,

G.
*********rlust Couple
312 Posts
@*******mia Well, it is true that most Germans will understand some English since it became a requirement in German schools some time in the 70's. It is also true as @*****alS stated that many resist writing or speaking English.... not always for patriotic reasons but often out of embarrassment - well or at parties because they are too drunk. I opened a bi-lingual English-German group for internationals a while ago, where you can find people that will speak English no matter their national background: https://www.joyclub.de/groups/all_shades_of_s_k_in/
Actually I would love to invite everybody in this forum to join as I have run out of ideas... and would hate to cancel the group. Yes, I am a stereotypical female in the way that digital sex does not do much for me.. *sweetkiss*

Concerning the gender-ratio, there are much more single guys on the Joyclub playing field than single women or couples, so competition is stiff- and yes, I have taken single men off our search profile, because of too many unwanted messages and compliments. The fact is that when I am polite and respond, in 9 out of 10 cases the guys immediately ask for keyboard-sex and kinky pics... which is highly annoying. There have been plenty of discussions on this topic on various German forums- so this is not just me here. Keep this in mind when you try to establish contacts...
Thank you for responses. Obviously there are people willing to write in English *g*
*****ven Woman
7,293 Posts
Quote from *******mia:
English on German site
I'm an foreigner in Germany(Cologne) and I wonder. Are Germans willing to speak on English (women,couples) or it's just that there is too many guys here so it's the same for everyone?

I am not German but Austrian ... but, I am *gg*
I see what you did there... *zwinker*
*****ven Woman
7,293 Posts
*gg*
On the Job!
********jekt Man
14 Posts
English here! I wrote my profile in German and Converse moslty in German, although sometimes I comment on English. So far no one has complained.

Some people like to speak to me in English, enjoy the chance to use there school English . Some don't. It's all cool.
**********aison Man
372 Posts
I speak to some Germans in English and some in Germans. Some are afraid to speak English as they fear mistakes.

Then there are some Germans who criticize everything in chat ( written in English or German ). I find these people to be the ones who not like it when they do not get attention.
*****lut Woman
5 Posts
i speak only english
****ick Man
5 Posts
My experience has been that writing in English provokes one of 2 responses - positive and friendly foor something a little different or alternatively, angry and upset that I should presume that everyone speaks English. What I generally do now is write in German - with full disclosure that I am doing so with my most excellent friend Google Translate - and let them know that English is my mother tongue. Some are ok with it and others less so, but I at least try and make the effort of writing in German on a German site. For the rest, it is indeed just a case of saying something which is more than just mundane and dull *zwinker*
On the Job!
********jekt Man
14 Posts
I agree with this. It's good to make the effort and speak the local language, and it's nice that people on here are understanding of my limitations with writing German (Sie,Du stuff still confuses me). But when people write to me in English, I will reply in kind.
*****alS
7,395 Posts
Quote from ********jekt:
(Sie,Du stuff still confuses me)

On here, it is safe to assume that you can call anybody "du", including support.

In general it is common to use "du" on the internet in conversations on social media, unless you're talking to a person you know in real life and usually adress with "Sie", then this stays.

In a more formal context (adressing support of a big company, your bank, insurance company, public agency, etc), "Sie" is usually used.
*********ance Man
241 Posts
puhh... tbh... no idea...
Actually im dating a Brazilian girl. As her german is not that perfect and I do not want to offense her, surely we speak in english as I cannot speak Portoguese. Addionaly I must admit, that my english is gettin even better. As under normal circumstances I speak like 75% english at work. And surely there it's work related.
For me its a win/win situation to talk to that lady all the time in english. Even when I need to check my friendly dictionary here and there *ggg*
****166 Woman
1 Posts
Well even tho on my profile says pls write on english because i am still learning german somehow i get more messages on german 🤷🏼‍♀️
**********rlily Woman
20 Posts
I originally used Fetlife in the US. JoyClub would certainly be more enjoyable for me if I knew German. I for sure know it’s my own responsibility to do so though. I really have only myself to blame for that. Regardless my main frustration stems from the fact that I get sooo many messages in German from people who clearly have not looked at my profile. From the original post my suggestion would definitely be to just learn German. Or if you’re a transient resident here use Google translate to see if it’s worth asking if the writer is willing to speak and write in English. Many people are...but it’s a German site in a German-speaking area so it makes sense there’s mostly German on the site.
*****alS
7,395 Posts
The thing is, @**********rlily, reading a profile is somewhat unpopular with lots of men who're mass-mailing women on here trying to "score". Just takes time and if you're blinldy just emailing everyone anyway, no matter if you think they'd match or not, purely based on gender (and, sometimes, profile pic, age and/or location) it's of "no use".
Likely you'd delete most of those messages just the same if you COULD read them because they're highly irrelevant to you.
****hu Man
4 Posts
Guessing there are enough members who speaks English on a decent level.
My English is not perfect and for sure you will recognize my slightly German accent 😉.

Maybe you should take a look into the group business travelers. Many people need to speak English for work. So it could be more successful there likewise the English forum.
********an64 Man
1,598 Posts
@**********rlily
Don't be concerned. Language is not the issue in the JC Jungle.
English Pop Songs, Advertising "jargon", cultural liberty to accept foreign impulses... You have yet to find the appropriate correspondants to be fully appreciated for all your personality.

It will happen, I am convinced.

Have patience and mercy with my fellow clountrymen and ladies.

Any questions? You have come to the right place. People here in the JC cosmos tend to be utterly tolerant and benevolent.

Cordially,

g.
*******rks Man
14 Posts
I had the same experience as @****ick: either interested or angry/upset. My experience is all outside JC, though.
This was actually very annoying for a long time, and it's still work in progress for me. I grew up curious about other languages and cultures and naively expected the same when I was the one bringing a different language and culture somewhere.

Although I know enough German, I have my profile in English to screen out those who aren't willing to make the effort *zwinker* It's just a language anyway...
******997 Man
3 Posts
I just joined myself and I only know very little German. So this is all very new to me 🤷🏼‍♂️ But I’m excited to hold down conversations and participate in these forums!
Yeah I know what you mean. I’m also looking for an English speaking guy. Quite difficult!
*****rsk Man
30 Posts
why difficult ? for me it‘s normal to speek english too
Want to join the discussion?
Register now for free to discuss hot topics with others and ask your own questions.